Andreas Vesalius, De humani corporis fabrica, 1555
Wellcome Library, London
A Rule to knowe what thinges are good and holosome for the Braine.
- To eate Sage, but not overmuch,
- To drinke Wine measurablie,
- To keepe the Head warme,
- To washe your Hands often,
- To heare litle noise of Musicke or Singers,
- To eate Mustarde & Pepper,
- To smell the sauour of Red-roses, & to washe the Temples of your Heade often with Rose-Water.
These Thinges are ill for the Braine.
- All manner of Braines,
- To stand much bare-headed,
- Overmuch Watching,
- Overmuch Bathing,
- Overmuch Knocking or Noise, & to smell a white Rose.
A Rich Store-House or Treasury for the Diseased
A bouquet of white roses: the floral equivalent of a concussion.